Visa United States - Boston

Always contact the US embassy or consulate in your home country for information on all visa matters concerning travel to the United States.

A visa for the United States is a document, a stamp or a sticker in your passport that shows that you are authorized to enter or leave the United States.

A US visa is subjective to permission for entering or leaving the United States from an immigration official at the time of the actual entry into the United States. A visa is issued by the US embassy or consulate in your home country.

Some persons from certain countries do not require a visa for the United States, such as when certain countries have reciprocal visa treaty arrangements with the US.

A visa application in advance at one of the US embassies or consulates around the world gives the government a chance to consider your circumstance, such as reason for applying, details of previous visits to the United States and financial security.

Visa Service

Sometimes a visa can be applied for through a visa service company which specialized in the issuance of visas and other international travel documents.

When this is the case the US embassy or consulate in your home country can inform you about the possibilities to use such an authorized visa service company.

Offcourse it is very important to check beforehand if such a visa service company is accredited by the embassy.

In the case that there is no US embassy or consulate in your home country you have to travel to a neighboring country which does have an embassy or consulate of the United States and try to apply for your visa there.

General Visa Information – Not specific to United States

Types of Visa
Worldwide there are different types and categories of visas of which the most common are:
Transit visa - A visa that is valid for a very short period of time where you pass through the international zone of an airport on your way to another destination outside that country and without entering the country's territory.

Short-stay visa - A visa for the purpose of leisure, holiday and short visits. There can be different sub catagories such as a private visa for private visits, a tourist visa for holiday and leisure, a medical visa for medical treatment or a business visa for conducting business and trade.
Long-stay visa - A visa for longer stays such as:
- Student visa for study and learning.
- Temporary worker visa for approved temprary employment.
- Journalist visa for journalists.
- Residence visa for obtaining long-term residence.
- Immigrant visa for approved immigration.
- Spousal visa or partner visa for spouses, partners or de facto partners of residents and citizen of the issuing country.
- Marriage visa for intended marriage or civil partnership.
- Retirement visa for retiring in the issuing country.
Official visa - A type of visa obtained by government officials representing their home country in the issuing country such as personnel of diplomatic missions.
Diplomatic visa for holders of diplomatic passports.

Visa - Entry and duration period
Single Entry Visa is a visa for a single entry into the host country and canceled as soon you leave the host country.
Double-entry, or multiple-entry visa is a visa that permits the holder double or multiple entries into the host country with the same visa.
In some territories there are countries that also issue re-entry permits alongside a visa. A re-entry permit allows the holder to leave the country for a limited amount of time and return without invalidating your current visa.

For all specific information on visa matters, please inquire the consulate or embassy by contacting them directly by email or telephone call. provides general information about the foreign consulates in Boston and has no affiliation
with any of the featured consulates mentioned on it’s website.
Disclaimer - Privacy Policy